The expulsions are in response to the poisoning of a former spy
The UK believes the nerve agent used on Sergei Skripal and his daughter came from Russia and has demanded a response.
Comments from May:
- Russia’s response has shown complete disdain, offered no explanation
- Russians have shown sarcasm, contempt and defiance
- Represents and unlawful use of force against the UK
- This is immediate action to dismantle espionage network
- This is the single biggest expulsion in 30 years
- Will harden defenses against hostile state activity in UK
- Will also table an amendment to strengthen actions against the abuse of human rights
- There is no place for corrupt elites in the UK
- Says will freeze Russian state assets wherever they have evidence of a threat
- Cannot share some measures which UK will take publicly
- Spoke to Trump, Merkel and Macron in the last 24 hours, will coordinate efforts
The talk about dirty money in the UK rings a bit hollow. There is a lot of real estate in London owned by Russians. The UK has been happy to let it drive up the price of London real estate for a decade.
Another point: There was a lot of talk about booting out RT or Sputnik but May didn’t.