Transport for London out with a ruling 22 Sept
- Uber’s conduct demonstrates a lack of corp responsibility in relation to a number of issues which have potential public safety and security implications
Uber has 21 days to lodge an appeal against the decision and TFL says they can continue to operate until appeals process is exhausted.
London Mayor Kahn says:
- all companies in London must play by the rules and adhere to the high standards we expect
- supports TFL decision
- wrong to give Uber a licence if it could pose a threat to Londoner’s safety and security
- Uber says it will appeal immediately through the courts
- TFL has caved in to a small number of people who want to restrict consumer choice
Not a lot of call for Uber down my way in the sleepy hollows of south England and I can’t say I’ve ever been a fan of the concept but I know a lot of people who will be devastated by the news. And a few London cabbies who will be delighted given that Uber have over 40,000 drivers on their books reportedly.