(1 Hour post event )
(End of Day post event)
07/26/2017 01:30:00 GMT
2Q 2017 Australia Consumer Price Index (CPI)
AUD/USD 15-Minute Chart
Check out our AUD/USD quarterly projections in our FREE DailyFX Trading Forecasts
Australia’s Consumer Price Index (CPI) unexpectedly slowed to an annualized 1.9% from 2.1% during the first three-months of 2017, while the core rate of inflation held steady at 1.8% per annum amid a downward revision in the prior reading. A deeper look at the report showed most components slowing or holding steady in the three-months through June, while Transportation costs bucked the trend, with the figure increasing 0.4% in the first-quarter versus a 0.3% expansion during the previous period. Nevertheless, the market reaction was short-lived, with AUD/USD regaining its footing during the European trade to end the day at 0.8004.
How To Trade This Event Risk(Video)
Bullish AUD Trade: Headline & Core CPI Picks Up
- Need a green, five-minute candle following the report to consider a long AUD/USD trade.
- If the market reaction favors a bullish aussie position, buy AUD/USD with two separate lots.
- Set stop at the near-by swing low/reasonable distance from entry; look for at least 1:1 risk-to-reward.
- Move stop to breakeven on remaining position once initial target is met, set reasonable limit.
Bearish AUD Trade: Australia Inflation Report Continues to Disappoint
- Need a red, five-minute candle to favor a short aussie trade.
- Implement the same setup as the bullish AUD position, just in reverse.
Potential Price Targets For The Release
AUD/USD Daily Chart
Chart — Created Using Trading View
- AUD/USD appears to be on its way to test the monthly-low (0.7733) as it carves a fresh series of lower highs & lows after failing to test the Fibonacci overlap around 0.7930 (50% retracement) to 0.7940 (50% retracement).
- Keep in mind, the Relative Strength Index (RSI) managed to clear the bearish formation from September, but remains confined by the downward trend carried over from the summer months.
- With that said, AUD/USD may continue to test the former-resistance zone around 0.7720 (23.6% retracement) to 0.7770 (61.8% expansion) for support, with the pair at risk for further losses as long as price & the RSI highlight the bearish dynamic from earlier this year.
- Interim Resistance: 0.8270 (38.2% retracement) to 0.8295 (2015-high)
- Interim Support: 0.7720 (23.6% retracement) to 0.7740 (78.6% expansion)
AUD/USD Retail Sentiment
Track Retail Sentiment with the New Gauge Developed by DailyFX Based on Trader Positioning
Retail trader data shows 51.9% of traders are net-long AUD/USD with the ratio of traders long to short at 1.08 to 1. The number of traders net-long is 5.4% higher than yesterday and 0.4% higher from last week, while the number of traders net-short is 5.9% lower than yesterday and 3.9% lower from last week.
— Written by David Song, Currency Analyst
To contact David, e-mail email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter at @DavidJSong.
To be added to David’s e-mail distribution list, please follow this link.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.